I recently connected with Lesley Lanier-Smith, the owner of Balance Box, on Instagram. I was impressed by what she is doing with her subscription box, and I asked if I could review her box and interview her. She said "Yes!" And, I'm thrilled to share her work and business with you.
Lesley is a rockstar in the mental health arena. She is an LPC in Texas, a doctoral student in counselor education and supervision, a private practice owner, and the brain behind Balance Box--a subscription box for healers and helpers. In addition, she is a wife and mom. She created Balance Box as a result of noticing a gap in the subscription box market; she says that there wasn't a box that was meeting the needs of women, or mom mental health professionals.
I had the honor of receiving both the January and February 2018 boxes, and I was so excited to open the boxes! There's something about receiving a package that you know was created with you in mind.
The Balance Box
Balance Box includes professional development items, usually developed by other therapists and clinicians in the mental health field, which makes it distinct from other self care subscription boxes.
The box includes additional items curated by Lesley. She always prioritizes products created by therapists and helping professionals.
The inside of the box is labeled, "For the healer and helper in you." It's a gentle reminder that the purpose of the box is to nourish you, because you give so much.
The January Balance Box
The theme of the January Balance Box was "Setting Intentions." The box included:
- Tension Balm, by Sincerely Different
- luxury instant coffee, by Bandit Coffee
- a beautiful blank journal for setting intentions, along with a "be lovely" pen. There's also a coinciding blog post with intention journaling prompts on the Balance Box blog.
- The Staying Sane in an Insane World guide, by Kiaundra Jackson, LMFT (with a free bonus video and worksheet)
The February Box
The theme of the February box was "Inner Love." The box included:
- I Love you Better Than Chocolate Chip Cookies--a book for children and adults, by Donalisa Helsley, LCSW.
- Meditation for Beginners DVD, by Gaiam
- Mes Amies Soaps' Facial Mask Bar
- Tea of Life Earl Grey tea
- Root and Bones' Mushroom of Immortality dietary supplement
- Village Naturals Therapy Aches + Pains Mineral Bath Soak
- And, a "Hello, Gorgeous" canvas bag (my favorite!), from Sweet Water Decor
I'm excited to have partnered with Lesley, and I was looking forward to reviewing the Balance Box. However, I did not expect my giddy reaction to receiving the boxes. I believe my joy was related to knowing that this box was just for me, and the person who curated it understood my life to some extent. It allowed me to be open to trying all the items in the box. The Balance Box served as a prompt to take a few minutes to treat myself right now--not later, and it provided the tools.
I most likely would not buy many of the items included, simply because I don't have the time to research and curate my own monthly gift bag. That's the perfect reason to check out Balance Box. The box will remind you to take care of yourself--and even pamper yourself, as you do the hard work of helping others.
In Lesley's words: "Thank you for being you. You are seen. You are supported. And, I hope you take the time to remember that. Celebrate yourself!"
I enjoyed my chat with Lesley immensely. She is passionate about serving helping professionals. She is a therapist working hard to create a meaningful business, while serving her community of therapists. I am proud to support her!
Lesley is offering all Family Therapy Basics readers 10% off an entire order, through March 31, 2018. Use code GETREFRESHED, at thebalancebox.net.
*Note: I am not an affiliate for the Balance Box. I do not receive a commission on your purchases.
View my video chat with Lesley
Let me know in the comments below:
- What product or service do you use to cultivate balance in your life?